Monday, August 17, 2009

A kick in your cardio

This week I want you to give your cardio workout a big kick. A few weeks ago I ask you to do 20 mins. of cardio 3 times a week.

Researchers state that intervals of high intensity are needed to burn body fat. Their evidence shows that intense exercise is nearly 900% more effective than slow and steady in reducing fat. "Go Hard" Men's Health (Aug. 2003)

So we are going to take their advice this week and increase our intensity. That means different intensities for different individuals. But whatever your level push yourself more.

Use any aerobic equipment you have: stationary bike, treadmill, the street, your stairs.
Warm up for 5 mins.
Then for 5-6 secs. go "all out"
Meaning push to the maximum but be able to maintain for the 5-6 secs. and don't hurt yourself. So for me I am going to be on the street running. After my warm-up I will run like I am being chased by a wild lion... think of something to make you more. Count slowly or if on the road run to the next telephone pole. If you are walking, you can still imagine you are being chased and pick up your pace. If you are on a treadmill or stationary bike use the clock.
Then for 10 secs. slow back down to your warm-up pace.
Repeat this fast/slow cycle for 10 mins. That's your goal, if you can't maintain this then repeat as long as you can.
Last 5 mins. return to warm up speed but now it is cool down time.

Do this 3 times this week and your metabolism and your energy level will improve.

If you are a walker and you want to mix it up a bit. Do the walking for your warm-up and cool down and then use stairs for your intensity part. Just be creativity and push yourself more than you normally do to kick up your metabolism.

If need be reread the early weeks advice to check that you are still drinking your ice water etc.

I am finally set up with my classroom and getting home earlier, so I would be glad to respond to any questions or concerns that you are having or just let me know how things are going. Several of you have been replying after each email and I have enjoyed reading your challenges and improvements. Hopefully now that I have this blog I can respond to all and your concerns may help others. I'm excited to try this new format and hope all of your are also. Till next week or maybe sooner.

Now get out there and burn some fat.
Roxie


No comments:

Post a Comment