Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Sapporo's Christmas tree quilt square


Just finished... This quilt block is the design of Chuck Nohara which I found in Quiltmania #74 Titled Sapporo's Christmas trees.
The ornaments on the quilt in the magazine were made out of silk kimonos, which is what attracted me to the design. However since I had no silk kimonos in my closet I had the great idea of using men's silk ties. As I planned for this quilt square I figured thrift stores would sell used ties for around a dollar. What a surprise I was in for. $2.99 is the least expensive tie in this square. I probably spend as much time sewing as looking for the right ties. I did really enjoy the hand appliqueing and I'm looking forward to making the rest of this quilt. This square is for a contest I am entering at the quiltstory blog.

1 comment:

  1. I love the Christmas tree block! Silk ties are a great idea, and I think $2.99 is expensive for a secondhand tie too! Thanks for entering into our Block Party!

    ReplyDelete